Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Where did January go?

December came and went.  It was a great month.  Holiday parties and gatherings.  We hosted our first (hope to be annual) cookie exchange party.  Our friend Clare made the most amazing cherry macaroon cookies that I desperately want to make myself but considering the damage the first batch did to my waist line, I've held off.  I'm not sure how much longer I can wait.
But that is not to say that the oven has not been put to good use.  For the cookie swap I had Clare bake up some peppermint chocolate biscotti from a recipe in a magazine.  They were so tasty I made a second batch a few weeks later.  You see the recipe calls for crushed up peppermint candies.  And what better way to use up all of those boxes of candy canes you can find for pennies at the stores these days. 
And then came the bread.  My man is a lover of bread.  He's made so much bread in the last two months that I can't possibly really blame the cookies for the spike in the waistline.
So for a nice gift a few weeks ago I ordered him a book that promised artisan breads in only five minutes a day.  It is fantastic and so easy.  And now the breadline is expanding (like my waistline.)  I think he plans on working through every recipe in the book.  Where he'd get an idea like that is just beyond me.
Okay, it's not so inconceivable considering I've been going on about my favorite book for months.  You see, back in October I ordered a book on canning.  As I drooled over each page I realized it had to make it on my thirty in my thirties list to make the entire book. 
I've made some good progress and post pictures to facebook every time.  And after much encouragement, I've come back to my blog to share with you some of my culinary canning concoctions. 
I do hope that you will enjoy reading, looking at, and possibly drooling over them as much as I enjoy making them.
This week has seen some spicy carrot pickles, cumin and paprika turnip pickles, and grapefruit marmalade.  Stay tuned for more details and photos (and taste testing results!)

1 comment: